The Mystic Trailhead of the Mickelson Trail is located 12 miles north of Hill City on Mystic Road (Forest Service Road 231).
This is the former location of a mining town that was called Sitting Bull and renamed Mystic when the railroad came through. It was a busy town for many years, the decline came when the saw mill closed in 1952. Some of the historic buildings remain. The Assay office can be seen behind the trailhead shelter in the photo above.
Like other trailheads, fresh water is available during the summer season. There is also a vault toilet.